The market potential of FDCA
Thanks to its superior performance criteria, such as improved barrier properties and higher mechanical strength, FDCA is our main building block for producing bio-based products. It can be applied to a wide variety of industrial plastics, including bottles, textiles, food packaging, carpets, electronic materials and automotive applications.
Given the huge potential market and the global need to offer a sustainable alternative to PET, we are focusing our efforts on PEF, which is an analog of polyethylene terephthalate (PET).
Superior barrier properties:
- PEF’s oxygen barrier is 10 times better than PET
- PEF’s carbon dioxide barrier is 6 to 10 times better than PET
- PEF’s water barrier is twice as good as PET’s
More attractive thermal properties:
- The Tg of PEF is 86°C compared to the Tg of PET of 74°C
- The Tm of PEF is 235°C compared to the Tm of PET of 265°C
(Tg – glass transition temperature)
(Tm – melting point)